In the realm of IMAGINE THE ‘IM’POSSIBILITIES: BAMBOO, broad visitors are presented with the elegance of cultural leisure events through tea ceremony, flower arrangement and incense appreciation. Crafts on Peel and okapi Studio are holding a handmade bamboo incense and backflow incense workshop. Bamboo powder provided by one of our exhibited artisans, Ting For Chun, will be involved in the making of incense cones. Our incense craftsman – Max Cheng will introduce participants to types of incense making tools, molds, ingredients and most importantly, resinous fragrances, varying from Frankincense to Benzoin, Myrrh and more.
Participants may bring their own raw material or use those prepared by our instructor: woody ingredients including Cinnamon, Hinoki, Cypress, Sandalwood; or primal botanical materials like White Sage, Mugwort. Participants will be able to create their own fragrances, each unique to themselves by crafting incense cones and a range of handmade and backflow incenses in different shapes.
Max Cheng is a graduate from Hong Kong Baptist University, majoring in the visual arts. He established okapi studio after graduation and traveled to China, Japan, Nepal and India to learn about different types of incense. Through organizing workshops and tours, Max aims to promote the many faces of “incense culture” and the idea of “closing the loop”, making incense from natural ingredients and using incense ash as fertiliser. okapi studio encourages the public to get close to the nature and be expressive with a pair of hands.
Terms and Condition：
- Participants require a full payment to secure the seat.
- Successful applicants please arrive Crafts on Peel 10 minutes before the workshop begins.
- We only accept cancellation by phone within Crafts on Peel office hours.
- 75% of the payment will be refunded for the cancellation before 48 hours of the class.
- Any cancellation within 48 hours of a class will not be offered a refund.
- Participants reserve the rights to transfer the place to others.